Give wings to dream.
Join the STARBASE team and be part of a forward-thinking, STEM-immersive group of educators. Our team of educators are highly-skilled, with math and science backgrounds who are focused on providing an exceptional STEM experience for students. All instructors hold a Minnesota elementary or middle school license.
STARBASE Minnesota- Duluth is currently hiring!
- Part time Classroom Assistant
Part Time Classroom Assistant
Description: STARBASE Minnesota, a nonprofit educational organization located near the Duluth International airport, seeks an enthusiastic and talented team member to support the program and organization. STARBASE Minnesota’s purpose is to inspire and educate youth in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) through hands-on learning experiences and innovative applications in an exciting, state of the art learning environment. STARBASE Minnesota Duluth hosts a 25-hour program for 5th graders in Northeastern Minnesota held during the day at the STARBASE facility during the school year as well as a four-week summer camp program. 20-25 hours a week. Reports to Director. Position is year-round. STARBASE employees must be committed to supporting our goal of creating a positive and inclusive climate for all by advancing equity and diversity.
The PT Classroom Assistant position is a newly created, non-benefitted, position to help meet the needs of our growing organization. A strong interest in education, in learning about STARBASE programs and in children is a must. Responsibilities include the following:
Serve as Classroom Assistant and provide support to instructors.
- Support the STARBASE Instructor team to aid in the preparation of teaching materials, lesson supplies and technologies.
- Support the implementation of STARBASE programs with associated tasks defined each day from the start of program to graduation.
- Assist with classroom preparation and clean-up. (To include COVID-19 additional hygiene and sanitization practices.)
- Learn various technologies, i.e. 3D printing, classroom and video software, poster printer, laminator to support classroom needs.
- Foster an inclusive environment appreciative of differences in the workplace. Meaningfully participate in and lead efforts to support the STARBASE commitment to equity and diversity.
- Re-stock classroom expendable supplies and identify equipment for replacement or repair.
- Support classroom volunteers with daily supply management.
- Assist in classroom photography, as needed.
Summer Camp program support.
- Inclusive of the tasks above and will also incorporate:
- Taking “astronaut photos” of students from each class; prepare for graduation video. Assisting with special projects such as coordination of student tours on or off base.
- Act as a group leader for a variety of outdoor activities such as GPS, rocketry, and more. Learn the functionality of GPS unit rocket launchers and altimeters.
- Associate’s degree or higher.
- Two to five years’ experience as educational support staff a plus.
- Proficient skills with Microsoft applications (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal skills and customer relations skills essential.
- Excellent writing skills. Typing/keyboarding minimum 50 wpm.
- Ability to prioritize multiple assignments.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills with ability to work under tight deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Self-directed; ability to take initiative; results oriented. Needs limited supervision.
- Ability to treat sensitive/confidential information with appropriate discretion.
- Flexible team player.
- Must have reliable transportation. Occasional lifting may be necessary.
- Have an understanding of and appreciation for creating and supporting diverse teams.
- Must be able to work hours required of the position (20-25 hours/week), Monday-Friday. Hours may vary and are dependent on school attendance schedule.
- STARBASE application
- Cover letter
- One letter of recommendation